Saturday, June 29, 2013

Blogging All Things Sally!


     After more than a decade of researching the life and work of the American sculptor, Sally James Farnham, like a gluttonous packrat, I felt a need to fill the void of accessible information by creating a website devoted to some of my early findings.  In 2004, http://www.sallyjamesfarnham.org hit the World Wide Web as a starting point for those interested in Farnham’s work. 
 
 It was truly a culmination of a personal journey that began as a child, when I found myself fascinated-obsessed-with her ‘Spirit of Liberty’ monument in our hometown of Ogdensburg, NY.  The calming beauty of her winged Victory atop the column drew me in, creating wonder and the spell has never relinquished control !


    
As the Farnham project is privately funded (i.e. by me) , I found updating the website costly.  In the nine years since it’s launch, my research has uncovered exciting new finds which I have shared in a more timely manner through a Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/sally.j.farnham).  It has become an educational tool through which I am able to share many facets of Sally’s fascinating life.   But over the past year I have been unsatified with the formats space limitations.  Bringing multi-dimensional stories to life in short sound bites just doesn’t do the robust personality of Sally any due.  I have mulled over the idea of a blog and its potential advantages for a while now.  In short, the moment is at hand!

 
Once a reporter sent to interview SJF and came away bewitched by the full experience culminating in a ‘difficult’ question posed to her readers, “Which is the more fascinating, Mrs. Farnham the woman or Mrs. Farnham the artist.”  This blog aims to present the same question as it focuses on detailed histories of individual works, personal histories and relationships and, in short, all things Sally!

No comments:

Post a Comment